Any of you that have seen our yard lately know that it is a work in progress. Last summer we have every intention of "beautifying" it, taking out all the nasty bushes, the dead, ginormous trees, and the extra sidewalk. Well all the good intentions in the world were not enough, since we were poor and had very little time. (Well...if we thought we had no time last summer, you should see us this summer...but hindsight is 20/20, right?) Anyway, we've pulled out all the nasty bushes and are slowly, but surely going to get it done this summer! The goal is to have a very low maintenance yard, since Ryan really has no extra time to do yard work and since I refuse to (I know that sounds really selfish, but I really loathe yard work, he knew that when he married me...) I am SO not the gardening type. Which is why I am surprised with myself. I find myself wanting to have a little garden. So when I was visiting my mom a couple of weeks ago, I was intrigued when they announced their activity on square foot gardening. We don't have much of a backyard, so the prospect of a garden while we are living in this house has always been pretty grim. But this idea of gardening looks just like my type of thing, so I am really very excited about it! I'm going to have my own little garden!! Now, I don't know anything about gardening, or what to grow. I know I want to have cucumbers, tomatoes, strawberries...but that is about as far as I get. I don't know what kind of stuff grows best here in our climate...sooooo, here's where you living here in Utah (and in my neighborhood) come in. HELP ME!?! :) I'd love to hear your ideas and opinions. I'm really excited about this, and would love your help.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




9 comments:
All of the three things you mentioned (cukes, toms, and strawberries) grow just fine here. The trick is water. ;)
I wanted a big garden this year, but lo and behold, who knew we'd be pregnant?! So, we've compromised by potting one tomato plant and one pepper plant. Hopefully, we'll be able to keep up with those as we adjust to a baby.
I'm excited for your gardening excitement! I guess my advice for a person who hasn't gardened lately (or before?) would be to start with 2 or 3 different plants or crops (tomatoes are pretty easy). Otherwise, you WILL get overwhelmed with trying to learn how to take care of each variety.
We have planted all those things in the past and they have worked well. I always use my Dad and my garden guru. He can tell you anything you want to know. Seriously, and he would love to share the info. Just do a few things though, if you have never done it, it does get overwhelming. Plus, you never know how well the plants will produce, you might have more than you want of something.
Good luck!
I just planted my very first garden!!Unfortunately I know very little about gardening, and already some of my plants are dying. Tragic. So no advice from me is any good.
Nonetheless, I wish you luck! The thought of eating my own vegetables this summer is such a thrill to me that I'm going to keep trying, despite the recent casualties.
Hey you
good luck with that gardening thing
I planted stuff to make salsa, but my tomatos froze so I have to start again with those, and we also planted Corn have to have that yummy corn.
Yes I agree with the statments on here water is the soul key and keeping the weeds and the peskie bugs out. And good soil helps to, bags of cow poop or gardening soil is good also.
Good luck! I've done it each year and had great success with tomatoes, peas and strawberries. Good luck with the yard as well, and if you ever need to get rid of a crab sandbox, just name your price. Lindsay still wants it and I don't want to pay full price for one.
Thanks for the pointers on the digital scrapbooking! I am going to try it out!
I dont have much expertise w/ gardening...I leave that to Scott and follow his directions. :)
Hows your garden coming along?
Well, I am like you...I want a garden but don't want to do the work and have never had one before. Thanks for sharing though!
We are probably having a garden at Cams cousins so let me know any good advice you get!! I have no idea what to do either! haha
Post a Comment