Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Legend of the Pizzelle

Alright its not really a legend, but the title sounded cool :)

Introducing one of my very favorite Christmas treats, the pizzelle (prounounced with the "tz" sound like "pizza")





I only make these delicious cookies once a year. They are a traditional Italian waffle-like cookie, popular around Christmas and Easter. A pizzelle is known to be one of the oldest cookies and many other cultures have developed their own version of the cookie. (Wikipedia)

My mom makes them every year, so when I got married, I wanted to start the same tradition.

The reasons I only make these once a year are:
1. They take FOREVER.
(I began these at around 11am this morning and finished with the last cookie around 2pm.)
2. They make a bajillion cookies.
3. They are not low fat, by any means.

My brother-in-law describes them as "plain, but delicious. An oxymoron on my tongue."

They are thin, lemony, wafer-y, and sort of melt in your mouth. One of my favorite ways to eat them is to smother them in whipped cream. I have a jar of nutella in my pantry that would also be delicious with them.

My recipe is a tad different than ones that you can find online.
Keep in mind that to make these, you have to have a pizzelle iron. Don't try to make these with a regular waffle iron. I don't think they would turn out as intended.

With that said, remember I told you that these are NOT low fat. Don't say I didn't warn you.

12 eggs
7 cups of flour
3 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3 cubes butter, melted and cooled (yikes!)
2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp lemon juice

1. Beat eggs, add sugar gradually. Beat until smooth.
2. Add cooled, melted butter and vanilla.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Add to egg mixture.
4. Add lemon juice to taste. (I usually add more than 2 Tbsp. I like more lemony goodness)
The dough will be sticky and thin, like waffle batter. Drop by spoonfuls into pizzelle machine.
You will only need to have these in a few seconds, 30 at the most. Don't leave them in too long, or they will get to hard and burn.

3 comments:

lindsay said...

thanks aubrey. i'm glad you think so too. i'm shocked at how many people just assume and think they have any right to say anything to me about it.

we loved your christmas card by the way - so so cute. glad to hear your family is doing well!

Sarah and Cam said...

YUMMY!!

Mel said...

I was looking forward to trying these at Summer's party. I was sad you were sick! Maybe next year?