Monday, January 28, 2008

Beloved Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley Dies at 97



It's a sad day for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Our beloved, seemingly immortal Prophet passed away from causes incident to age. He was 97.

While it is a sad day for members of the Church, I think somewhere in Heaven there is a joyous reunion taking place, where the sweethearts are reunited. I can't even begin to imagine that reunion, but having known what Pres. Hinckley is like, I imagine cartwheels and dancing.



The thing I will always remember about him is his quick wit and sense of humor. Conference will be a very different experience without his sassy comments. I was reading an article about his wit and wisdom and came across this story. This classic Pres. Hinckley moment happened during a 1997 conference:

After Apostle Russell M. Nelson gave a laudatory speech about Hinckley at LDS General Conference in 1997, Hinckley returned to the podium and quipped,
"I thought we were conducting General Conference. It's turned out to be a funeral."
Hinckley continued:
"He's taken extreme liberty. I challenge him to a duel down in the basement of the tabernacle after this session."
At the end of the session, Hinckley apparently thought better of the idea.
"I've repented," he said. "Thank you for your kind words. We'll postpone the duel."


I laughed out loud when I read that story. What a cute man!!



He will be missed!

0 comments: