Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sleep Issues

Update: This seems to have just been a phase she was going through for a couple of days...she is back to her old sleeping habits now and it is BLISS!! (7/24)


So Hailey has always been an exceptional sleeper. She has been sleeping 6 or more hours a night since she was 6 weeks old, its been AWESOME! She can even fall asleep through VERY loud situations. She has fallen asleep at a Jazz game, at a very LOUD party (not to mention that she was right by the speaker blaring music), and during fireworks at the OremFest.

I know right now all of you are jealous of my child's sleeping habits....well be jealous NO MORE!

We are having some serious sleep issues at my house right now. I put Hailey to bed last night (and the night before for that matter) at 8:30pm. What time did she go to sleep, you ask? 12:30am!! Serious! 12:30am!! 4 hours for a two year old to fall asleep at night...I'm thinking that is just a TAD ridiculous!!

Now here is where you come in...HELP ME!!! I need suggestions of what to do (what you have done if your kids have gone through the same thing) or support that this might just be a phase. I'm really hoping this is a phase...As much as I like sleeping in until 9 or 10 (which thankfully is what Hailey has been doing), I can't handle her not sleeping until 12:30am.

Help me...

9 comments:

Christi said...

I'm sorry to hear she's not your angel child where sleep is concerned anymore. It's the pits when they say "Suprise!" when you think all is well. I don't have any suggestions for you, other than don't make it a game and don't encourage her to enjoy herself during that 4 hours. We have strict rules that no one gets out of bed (other than potty time) after lights out. If it comes to putting a gate on her door, do it. Invest in some good ear plugs though. This too shall pass......

A said...

Jackson goes on little 2-3 week stints of waking up between 5:45 and 6:30. I am used to him waking up at 8 so those little pockets of time are not very fun. Every time I think this is it, this is his new wake up time but he always goes back to the 8-ish hour. So hopefully she'll get over it. I know one thing that make Jackson really tires is running around outside. But it makes me hotter than heck, so it's a toss-up. We also give him apples or something before bed and he seems to sleep better when his tummy is full.

Abs said...

Hey Aubrey, just wanted to let you know that for jam, I just pick up a box of jam pectin at the grocery store and use the recipe on the box. :)

Oh and sleeping issues--it always seems like my kids have an easier time falling asleep when they aren't "overtired" so when they take forever to fall asleep one night, the next night I put them down earlier. And so on, and eventually it seems like they get into their own schedule and we find the best bedtime.

Hope that helps.

Marie said...

Sounds like no fun! We had ongoing sleep troubles when Mason was a toddler. Someone recommended the book "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" by Richard Ferber to me, and it was a lifesaver for us. Some people feel his methods are too harsh (he suggests "crying it out" as part of his techniqe, but we'd tried many others and his suggestions are what finally taught Mason to get a good night's rest. I believe that teaching your child how to sleep and allowing them to be well rested and happy are worth the couple nights of toughing it out!!! I have the book if you'd like to borrow it. But whatever you try - Good luck! No sleep is rough!

Heidi said...

Sounds silly, but have you changed her eating habits at night lately? We discovered that Lindsay and sugar don't mix well after 8. She'll just sit in her bed with her eyes wide open until midnight. I really have no advice considering I still have a one year old who gets up in the night. Sorry!

Shane, Meg, CJ, RJ, and AL said...

I also can't really offer advice...Carter is a constant roller coaster in all aspects of his life including sleep! I think I am a loser when it comes to a schedule, so maybe that's why!

Brian & Michelle said...

What the heck? Were are kids buddies up in the Pre-Mortal world? Jasmin has been having a fit going to bed as well. Luckily she goes to bed sooner then 12:30, but she is fighting going to bed more and more lately. Her older siblings have been gone for almost 2 weeks, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Tonight was especially hard for her. I just had to make a game out of racing up the stairs to turn on the night light, and she fell for it. Maybe she is just overly exhausted? How are nap times during the day?

Edwin & Tamara said...

I think everyone is having child sleep issues so is anyas kids they don't want to sleep either,
Sorry sweetie wish I was more help,

Jennifer Bowman said...

Hey! So I got your message. I got my background from LeeLou blogs. It's free & lots of way cute ones to choose from!:)

http://www.leelouheaders.blogspot.com/