Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Swimming

I'm just going to get this out there:

I am terrified of water. Absolutely terrified. I start to hyperventilate if I get into water above my chest. I panic in boats. One time, when I was a teenager, I had nightmares for 2 weeks before a temple trip to do baptisms for the dead. I dreamed that I drowned in the baptismal font. I have to admit though, I have gotten better over the last few years. I am trying to overcome the debilitating part of my fear for the good of my children. I don't think I'll ever completely get over the fear, but I don't want my children to be as afraid of the water as I am.

Because of this, I have enrolled Hailey in swimming lessons for the past few summers. This year, I chose to do semi-private lessons. My friend, Shelly, is staying with her parents, who have a pool in their backyard. Hailey's teacher, Catie, was amazing. Hailey looked forward to swimming lessons each day. We did two 2-week sessions, and by the end, Hailey had improved so well. She was even jumping off the diving board by herself! I was so proud of her!!


diving for rings at the bottom of the pool

"ice cream scoops" to the wall

my happy little "fish"

star fish floats




1st video - I don't know why this is on its side. This video is of her jumping off the diving board, by herself.

2nd video - This is the first time she jumped in the pool by herself. Catie would "chop" the tree down and the kids would jump in the pool.

0 comments: